Braided Easter Egg Bread Ring
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 5 1/2 tsp dry active yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 – 6 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 hard boiled eggs unpeeled
- food colouring
- canola oil
- 1 large eggs
- 2 tbsp water
- Place the sugar, yeast, salt and 2 cups of flour in the bowl of an electric mixer. Set aside.
- Pour the milk and butter into a small pot and heat to 120F-130F. Pour this into the dry mixture and beat with the electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add 3 eggs and vanilla extract and beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Gradually add enough of the remaining flour until the dough is soft and still sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place the dough in a greased bowl, then rotate the dough in the bowl so that it is greased on all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- While you are waiting for the dough to rise, dye the hard boiled eggs with the food colouring. See my tutorial (here) for how to perfectly dye eggs! Allow the eggs to dry completely.
- Punch down the dough, then transfer to a floured surface. Divide into 3 portions and roll each portion into a 24 inch-long rope. Place the ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid. Bring the ends together to form a ring and pinch the edges together to seal. Brush the hard boiled eggs with canola oil, then stick into the braid, tucking them between the ropes.
- Cover the bread with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 20 minutes.
- Combine the remaining 1 egg and water in a bowl and whisk together. Brush this onto the surface of the dough, avoiding the eggs. Bake at 375F for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!