Spring Bunny Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup green “jimmies” sprinkles
- 3 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 7 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
- green and pink food colouring
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 mini chocolate chips
- egg chocolates
Bake the cake:
- Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla and eggs one at a time, mixing with each addition.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add this to the butter mixture in 2 additions, alternating with sour cream.
- Pour some batter into one cavity of a greased and floured small rabbit-shaped cake pan. (The cake pan is linked in the description box of the YouTube video and if you don’t want to purchase one, you can use a mini loaf pan instead.) Add the green sprinkles to the remaining cake batter and mix to combine. Pour the remaining batter into a greased and floured 9-inch round spring form baking pan, or any deep cake pan.
- Bake the cakes at 350F, the rabbit for 15-20 minutes and the round cake for 60-70 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
Make the buttercream:
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until it is pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined. Add the confectioner’s sugar once cup at a time, then beat for 5 minutes, or until fluffy.
- Dye about 2 tbsp of buttercream pink, 1/3 of the buttercream bright green and leave the remaining buttercream white.
Assembly & Decoration:
- First, decorate the rabbit. Slice any excess cake off the bottom of the rabbit so that it sits flat. Place some white buttercream in a piping bag fitted with a star-shaped piping tip (#15, 16 or 17). Pipe dollops over the entire rabbit, adding extra buttercream around the ears, feet and tail. Place the pink buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a small, round piping tip. Pipe the rabbit’s nose and inside of its ears. Stick mini chocolate chips onto the rabbit to create its eyes. Set the rabbit aside.
- Flatten the top of the round cake by slicing off the rounded top, then slice it into 3 layers. Set aside. Combine 1 cup white buttercream with the strawberries, white chocolate chips and marshmallows. Spread ½ of the buttercream filling between each layer of the cake.
- Coat the entire surface of the cake in a thin layer of green buttercream. Place the rabbit on top of the cake. Place the green buttercream in a piping bag fitted with a #234 grass piping tip. Pipe grass over the entire cake. Scatter some chocolate eggs onto the grass and enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Hi everyone! My name is Cayla Gallagher and I’m the creator of pankobunny!
You could also call this heading “Our philosophy” or “Our vision.” This is the place to talk about what drives you and your business and what’s unique about your process.
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins
Error: Invalid Feed ID.