Chili Chocolate Cake
Bake the cake
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cake flour, salt, cocoa powder, chili powder and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- Combine the sugar and oil with an electric mixer, beating until well combined. Add the egg and mix well. Add the food coloring and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Add the flour mixture in 2 additions, alternating with the buttermilk. In a small bowl, combine the baking soda and vinegar, then add to the batter and mix to combine.
- Divide the batter between 2 greased and floured 9 inch-round cake pans. Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
Make the frosting
- Beat the cream cheese and butter in an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined. Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time. In a separate bowl, combine the cocoa powder, chili powder and cayenne pepper, then add to the frosting and mix for 2-3 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Spread some buttercream between each layer. Coat the cake in an even layer of buttercream.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper onto a cookie sheet, small enough to fit into your fridge. Use white candy melts to draw the bull’s nose and horns and dark chocolate candy melts to draw the eyes and ears. Draw a nostrils onto the white nose and pupils onto the eyes with dark candy melts. Draw red candy centers onto the ears. Place in the fridge until set.
- Stick the chocolates onto the cake and enjoy!
Serving: 1gCalories: 974kcalCarbohydrates: 112.2gProtein: 9gFat: 57.7gSaturated Fat: 24.1gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 507mgPotassium: 359mgFiber: 3.6gSugar: 85.3gCalcium: 75mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!