Skull Cakes with Gooey Brains
- Sift together the flour and cornstarch. Place the egg whites and salt in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add ¼ cup sugar and mix until the egg whites are stiff and glossy. Set aside.
- Place the egg yolks, vanilla extract and ½ cup sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until the eggs are pale and thick. Fold the egg whites into the mixture. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, folding to gently combine.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured skull-shaped pan and smooth the surface. Bake at 350F for 35-40min (CHECK) until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and let cool.
- Combine the whipping cream and vanilla extract and whip until stiff peaks form. Fold in the strawberry jam, food colouring and fresh strawberries.
- Cut off the extra edges of the cakes and flatten the bottom of each cake. Carve a hole out of the bottom of each cake, reserving the cake scraps. Spoon the strawberry cream into each hole, using some cake scraps to seal the holes closed.
- Turn the cakes right side up and generously dust with confectioner’s sugar and enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!