Skull Cakes with Gooey Brains
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 4 large eggs whites and yolks separated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup + ¼ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup whipping cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam
- 5 strawberries finely chopped
- red food colouring
- confectioner’s sugar
- Sift together the flour and cornstarch. Place the egg whites and salt in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add ¼ cup sugar and mix until the egg whites are stiff and glossy. Set aside.
- Place the egg yolks, vanilla extract and ½ cup sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until the eggs are pale and thick. Fold the egg whites into the mixture. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, folding to gently combine.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured skull-shaped pan and smooth the surface. Bake at 350F for 35-40min (CHECK) until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and let cool.
- Combine the whipping cream and vanilla extract and whip until stiff peaks form. Fold in the strawberry jam, food colouring and fresh strawberries.
- Cut off the extra edges of the cakes and flatten the bottom of each cake. Carve a hole out of the bottom of each cake, reserving the cake scraps. Spoon the strawberry cream into each hole, using some cake scraps to seal the holes closed.
- Turn the cakes right side up and generously dust with confectioner’s sugar and enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Hi everyone! My name is Cayla Gallagher and I’m the creator of pankobunny!
You could also call this heading “Our philosophy” or “Our vision.” This is the place to talk about what drives you and your business and what’s unique about your process.
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins
Error: Invalid Feed ID.