When people ask me what I look forward to when I wake up every day, I would say, “A big, scrumptious meal first thing in the morning”.
Sure, having a life calling that gets me fired up every day is one thing… but when it comes to food, it’s a whole different thing. That’s why I love waking up to sweet treats like this Nutella stuffed French toast to get me through the day.
The brioche bread is stuffed with Nutella, raspberries, and marshmallows. Then, I soak the bread in Nutella hot chocolate. Fry it and serve, loaded with more raspberries and marshmallows.
And because sharing is caring, you’re gonna want to share this dish with your loved ones for special occasions too. Watch them take a second (and third) helping! 😜
For the stuffed toast:
- Brioche bread – Soft, dry bread is best for Nutella stuffed French toast because it absorbs the chocolate mixture without falling apart. Egg bread is also a good substitute.
- Stuffings – Nutella, raspberries, and marshmallows.
- Toppings – Chopped toasted hazelnuts, more Nutella, raspberries, and marshmallows.
- Butter – To grease your pan before frying.
For the hot chocolate mixture:
- Milk – I use full cream milk for a creamy texture, but non-dairy vegan options are fine too.
- Chocolate – 20g milk chocolate and 30g dark chocolate.
- Eggs – We’ll add 4 eggs to amp up the rich texture of our melted chocolate. I recommend using eggs at room temperature.
How to Make Nutella Stuffed French Toast Recipe
- First, make the hot chocolate mixture. Place the milk, Nutella, dark chocolate, and milk chocolate in a frying pan over medium heat and stir until everything is melted and combined. Once you are done, remove it from the heat and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Slice the brioche into two 2-inch-thick slices of bread, and remove the crusts. Slice a small opening into each slice of bread, making a little pocket. (Watch the video for a demonstration.)
- Spoon some Nutella into the pockets and stuff it with raspberries and marshmallows. Add enough filling for the bread to be full, but not too full that it spills out when frying.
- Add the eggs to the chocolate mixture, and whisk the eggs until combined. Soak the stuffed bread into the mixture for 5 minutes, then flip them over and soak for another 5 minutes on the other side.
- Melt some butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Fry the bread for about 3-4 minutes on each side. The mixture is quite sugary, so make sure to check to see if the sugar is caramelizing too quickly or burning.
- Then, turn off the heat, cover the pan with a lid, and allow the French toast to steam in the residual heat for 5 minutes.
- To serve, top with more fresh raspberries and marshmallows, and then drizzle more Nutella on top. Sprinkle some toasted chopped hazelnuts, and enjoy!
What to Serve with Nutella Stuffed French Toast
- Refreshing fruits like apples and strawberries will help balance out the sweetness of the Nutella stuffed French toast.
- Whipped cream is airy and sweet and goes well on any dessert!
- Maple syrup on this chocolate-filled French toast will make it even more decadent!
- I love sifting some powdered sugar on top of this Nutella – it makes this dish look more appetizing and slightly fancy!
- Eggs and bacon give a savory flavor to this sweet toast. It’s hard to say no to a juicy crispy bacon when you combine it with sumptuous chocolate-filled bread.
Expert Recipe Tips
I have some handy, fail-proof tips for you to prepare the best Nutella stuffed French toast!
- Cook on medium heat to avoid burning the toast.
- Removing the crust from the bread will allow the chocolate mixture to be absorbed better and evenly throughout. The thickness of the crust may prevent certain parts of the bread from absorbing any liquid, so always remove the crust!
- The chocolate mixture must be cooled down to room temperature before you soak the bread in so that the bread does not absorb too much of the liquid and get extremely soggy.
Before you keep the leftover French toast, remember to let it cool down to room temperature first to prevent condensation in the container which will make the toast soggy.
Store in an airtight container or in a plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
When you are ready to eat it again, let the French toast come to room temperature first before heating it in the oven at 375F for 10 minutes.
What Bread to Use for Nutella French Toast
Dry bread is best because they do not disintegrate too easily when dipped or soaked in the hot chocolate and egg mixture. You can also use challah bread or English muffin bread as an alternative for this sweet breakfast.
Nutella Stuffed French Toast Recipe
- ½ loaf of brioche bread
- ¼ cup nutella + more for the topping
- ¼ cup fresh raspberries + more for the topping
- ¼ cup mini marshmallows + more for the topping
- 1 cup milk
- 20 g milk chocolate
- 30 g dark chocolate
- 4 eggs
- 3 tbsp Nutella
- chopped hazelnuts toasted
- First, make the hot chocolate french toast mixture. Place the milk, Nutella, dark chocolate and milk chocolate in a frying pan over medium heat and stir until everything is melted and combined. Remove this from the heat and allow this to come to room temperature.
- Slice the brioche into 2, 2-inch thick slices, and remove the crusts. Slice open an opening into each slice of bread, making a little pocket. Make sure leave the other 3 sides of the bread still connected – just make a little pocket.
- Spread the Nutella between each of the two pockets, and stuff them with the raspberries and marshmallows. Add enough filling for the bread to be full, but not too full that the filling will spill out when frying.
- Add the eggs to the hot chocolate mixture, and whisk until combined. Add the stuffed bread, and allow it to soak for 5 minutes, and then flip them over and soak for an additional 5 minutes on the other side.
- Melt some butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Fry the bread on each side for about 3-4 minutes. The mixture is quite sugary, so make sure to check to see if the sugar is caramelizing too quickly or burning. Then turn off the heat, cover the pan with a lid, and allow the French toast to steam in the residual heat for 5 minutes.
- To serve, top with more fresh raspberries and marshmallows, and then drizzle more Nutella over top. Sprinkle on some toasted chopped hazelnuts, and enjoy!