Clementine Cupcakes with Homemade Clementine Jam
- 22 clementines peeled (flesh and peel separated into bowls)
- 300 g sugar
- 1 ½ cups + 2 tbsp flour
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 150 ml water
- 150 ml buttermilk or 150ml milk and 2 ½ tsp white vinegar, combined and refrigerated for 15 minutes
- 75 ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest from 2 clementines
- dash of pure orange extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp pure orange extract
- zest from 1 clementine
- orange food colouring
- orange sanding sugar
- pocky sticks for stems
Make the jam:
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add about ½ of the clementine peels. Discard the remaining peels. Bring the water back up to a boil, then strain and let cool. Once cooled, slice the peels into 2mm-thick strips.
- Place the clementine flesh into a blender and pulse until smooth. Pour the blended clementine and sugar into a pot and bring it to a boil.
- Remove any scum from the surface. Add the peel and simmer until the mixture reduces to 2/3. Pour the jam into a mason jar and cool.
Bake the cupcakes:
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer and add the egg and egg yolk, water, buttermilk, oil, vanilla, clementine zest and orange extract. Beat on low speed until fully combined, about 3 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a cupcake tin lined with cupcake liners. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes. Cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
Make the buttercream:
- Beat the butter in a bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, orange extract and clementine zest and mix well. Add the confectioner’s sugar 1 cup at a time until fully combined. Add the orange food colouring and mix until fluffy.
Decorate the cupcakes:
- Make a hole in the center of each cupcake and fill it with jam. Mound some buttercream on top of each cupcake to look like a round clementine.
- Pour the orange sanding sugar into a bowl and dunk each cupcake into the sugar, coating the entire surface of the buttercream in the sugar. Gently round the tops out with your hand if the buttercream gets misshapen. Stick a small piece of pocky into the centers to look like stems and enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!