Purple Pygmy Puff Cake
This adorable creature was requested by Caoimha Quinn! Pygmy Puffs are cute little animals in Harry Potter and come in pink and purple colors. Today we’re turning one into a cake! RECIPE & PRODUCTS USED BELOW!
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups confectioner’s sugar
- purple food coloring
- ¼ cup marzipan
- 2 blue sprinkles
- straw or skewer
- edible ink pen
Bake the cake:
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and smooth. Add the vanilla extract and eggs one at a time, mixing with each addition.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add this to the batter in 2 additions, alternating with the sour cream. Dye the batter purple.
- Spoon the batter into 2 greased and floured 6” round cake pans. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centers comes out clean. Cool completely.
Make the buttercream:
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, beating with each addition. Dye the buttercream purple.
- Slice the tops and bottoms off the cakes to smooth the surface and remove any excess browning.
- Stack the cakes and spread some buttercream between each layer. Use a serrated knife to carve the cake into a ball shape.
- Coat the cake in a thin layer of buttercream, called a crumb coat. This will catch any excess cake crumbs. Chill the cake in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Place the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a large grass piping tip. Set aside.
- Use the marzipan to create the Pygmy Puff’s head and ears. Use a skewer to create 2 indentations for the eyes and a butter knife to make its mouth. Stick 2 blue sprinkles into the eye indentations. Gently stick the head onto a skewer or a straw, then insert the straw into the side of the cake.
- Pipe the purple buttercream all over the entire surface of the cake to look like fur. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Hi everyone! My name is Cayla Gallagher and I’m the creator of pankobunny!
You could also call this heading “Our philosophy” or “Our vision.” This is the place to talk about what drives you and your business and what’s unique about your process.
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins
Error: Invalid Feed ID.