Plaid Mitten Cookies
- Sugar cookie dough recipe here
- ½ lb confectioner’s sugar
- 2 ½ tbsp meringue powder
- scant ¼ cup water
- food colouring
- Roll the cookie dough out until ¼-inch thick and cut out mitten shapes. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350F for 10 minutes, or until the edges are just starting to brown. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- To make the icing, combine the confectioner’s sugar and meringue powder in a large bowl. Add the water and beat for 7 minutes, until it is smooth and when drizzled, stays on the surface for a few seconds. Divide into as many bowls as you like – each mitten uses 3 shades of icing. Add ¼ tsp of water to the icing that you are going to use as the base (aka background colour) of the mittens. Place all shades of icing into piping bags fitted with small, round piping tips. I used #2 piping tips.
- Using the icing for the base, pipe a border of icing around the perimeter of the cookies and fill in the border with the icing. Allow the icing to harden completely, about 1 hour. Using the icing for the accent colour of the plaid pattern, pipe a large check pattern onto the cookies. Use the remaining icing colour to add 3 more stripes to each stripe you’ve already piped on (both vertically and horizontally). If you’re running out of room, just add 2 stripes.
- Allow the icing to fully harden, about 1 hour. Enjoy your cozy cookies!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!