Pistachio Cream Puffs
Today we’re making some super cream puffs, filling them with homemade pistachio cream and topping them with dark chocolate ganache and chopped pistachios!
- 6 cups raw pistachios shells on or 2 cups shelled pistachios
- 12 oz white chocolate melted
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup unsalted butter cold and cut into cubes
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- Chocolate Topping:
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream hot
- ½ cup pistachios chopped
Make the pistachio cream:
- If the pistachios aren’t shelled, shell them. To save your thumbs, you can use a butter knife to help pry open the shells.
- Place the pistachios in a food processor and pulse until they become a damp paste. This may take several minutes, but it will get there!
- Combine the white chocolate, pistachio paste, confectioner’s sugar and salt in a bowl. Mix together with a spoon, or with the help of an electric mixer. Set aside.
Make the cream puffs:
- In a large pot, combine the water, butter, sugar and salt. Set to high heat and bring to a boil. Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon mix until a film forms on the bottom of the pan. Transfer the dough to a bowl and cool for 3-4 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously and completely incorporating each egg after each addition.
- Transfer the dough to a piping bag fitted with a large, round piping tip and pipe 1 ½-inch rounds onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Wet your fingers and smooth any pointed peaks.
- Bake them at 375F for 30 minutes. Cool on the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
Make the glaze:
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Place the pistachio cream into a piping bag and snip off the end, create a medium-size round piping tip.
- Use a butter knife to poke holes into the bases of the cream puffs. Place the piping tip inside the hole and continue to pipe the pistachio cream inside until the cream puff feels heavy. That’s how you know it’s full! Repeat with all cream puffs.
- Spoon the chocolate glaze onto the top of the cream puffs. Sprinkle with crushed pistachios. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!