Tomato Picnic Baskets
- Potato salad:
- 2 lb potatoes
- 3 hard-boiled egg yolks
- ½ cucumber seeds removed and finely diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ½ cup frozen corn defrosted
- a pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 6 large tomatoes
- 6 small lettuce leaves
- First, make the potato salad. Peel the potatoes and cut them into ½ inch-thick slices. Rinse these in cold water, then place in a pot of cold water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Bring the heat down to medium-high heat and boil for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are fully cooked.
- In the meantime, place the cucumbers in a bowl and sprinkle the salt over top. Allow this to sit for 5 minutes for the salt to remove the excess water from the cucumber. Then drain the water from the bowl and squeeze the cucumbers dry with a paper towel.
- Drain the water from the pot, and place the pot over low heat. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher for 1-2 minutes, then remove from the heat. Add the egg yolk and continue mashing until the potatoes are smooth.
- Add the cucumber, corn and black pepper and combine well. Then add the mayonnaise and mix until fully combined. Place the potato salad in the fridge to chill while you make the tomato baskets.
- To make the baskets, remove any stems from the tomato, and place them stem-side down on a cutting board. Slice the tomatoes to create a basket shape (see in video), then carefully scoop out the seeds, making sure not to tear through the flesh of the tomatoes.
- Place a lettuce leaf into each basket so that the lettuce is hanging out of one side, like a napkin. Spoon the potato salad into the tomatoes.
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!