Snowflake Window Cookies
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- blue food colouring
- sugar cookie dough recipe here
Make the candies:
- Combine the sugar, water and corn syrup in a deep pot over medium heat. Increase the heat to high and attach a candy thermometer to the pot. When the temperature reaches 300F, add a drop of blue food colouring and mix until fully combined. Bring the heat up to 310F, then remove from the heat and stir with a rubber spatula until it stops bubbling.
- Pour the mixture into a silicone mold and cool at room temperature, until hardened. Unmold the candy and set aside.
Make the cookies:
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface until it is ¼ inch-thick. Cut out snowflake shapes and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Use a smaller snowflake cookie cutter to cut out centers from the cookies.
- Place the candies in a freezer bag and crush them into large chunks. Place some candy into the center of each cookies – don’t add too much, but don’t add too little either. It takes some trial and error to gauge how much you need, so I recommend making a test batch of 3 cookies, placing a different amount of candy in the center of each. Poke little holes at the tops of the cookies with a lollipop stick.
- Bake the cookies at 350F for 10 minutes, until the cookies are just starting to brown around the edges and the candy center has melted. Allow these to cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Once fully cooled, thread some string through the holes of the cookies and hang them by the window so that the sun can shine through the beautiful candy center!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!