Royal Wedding Cake!! Lemon Elderflower Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup elderflower syrup
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 5 cups confectioner’s sugar
- zest from 2 lemons
Syrup for brushing:
- Approx. ¼ cup elderflower syrup
- approx. ½ cup hot water
Fresh white flowers
Bake the cake:
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and smooth. Add the vanilla extract, lemon zest and juice, elderflower syrup and eggs one at a time, mixing with each addition.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add this to the batter in 2 additions, alternating with the sour cream.
- Spoon the batter into 3 greased and floured 6” round cake pans. Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centers comes out clean. Cool completely.
Make the buttercream:
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, lemon zest and confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, beating with each addition.
Make the syrup:
- Combine roughly 1 part elderflower syrup and 2 parts hot water in a cup and mix well. These measurements don’t need to be exact, we just need to dilute the elderflower syrup.
- Slice the tops and bottoms off the cakes to smooth the surface and remove any excess browning.
- Place the first cake on your work surface and brush generously with the syrup. Spread some buttercream onto the surface, then repeat with another layer of cake, syrup, buttercream and then the final layer of cake. Do not brush this layer of cake with the syrup.
- Coat the cake in a thin layer of buttercream, called a crumb coat. This will catch any excess cake crumbs. Chill the cake in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Coat the cake in a thick, generous layer of buttercream. Use a palette knife to smooth the sides of the cake. Top with fresh flowers and enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!