Matcha Green Tea Marshmallows
Today we’re making homemade marshmallows that taste like matcha green tea! Super easy and so soft and fluffy!
- 1/3 cup + ¼ cup cold water
- 2 ½ tsp powdered gelatin
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ vanilla seed pod or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp matcha green tea powder
- Cooking spray
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup confectioner’s sugar
- ¾ tsp matcha green tea powder
- Pour 1/3 cup of cold water into the bowl of an electric mixer and sprinkle the powdered gelatin on top. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Place the sugar and ¼ cup cold water in a small pot and set to medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar has melted.
- Attach a candy thermometer to the pot and boil the sugar until it reaches 238F. Brush the sides of the pot with a wet pastry brush if sugar crystals stick to the sides. Remove the pot from the heat and stir until the sugar stops boiling.
- Add the hot sugar to the gelatin and stir the mixture by hand whisking for a few minutes to slightly cool. Then beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 8-10 minutes, until soft peaks form. Add the vanilla bean seeds or extract and the matcha green tea powder and mix until combined. If desired, add some green food coloring to create a more vibrant color.
- Line an 8×8” square pan with parchment paper and spray the parchment paper with cooking spray. Pour the marshmallow mixture into the pan and smooth the surface.
- Allow the marshmallow to stiffen at room temperature for 6 hours, or overnight, until firm to the touch.
- Combine the confectioner’s sugar, corn starch and matcha green tea powder in a bowl and place in a mesh sieve. Dust over the surface of the marshmallow. Remove the marshmallow from the pan and dust the underside of the marshmallows with the sugar coating. Cut the marshmallow into cubes and roll the cut edges in the sugar coating as well.
- Bounce in a mesh sieve to remove any excess coating and enjoy! These are best consumed within 24 hours.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!