Macaron Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 3/4 cup almond flour not almond meal
- 2 large egg whites
- pinch cream of tartar
- ¼ cup superfine sugar
- Fresh mango
- fresh raspberries
- ½ tsp instant coffee powder
- pink and yellow food coloring
- Chocolate ice cream softened
- lemon ice cream softened
- coffee ice cream softened
- ½ cup dark chocolate melted
- 1 tbsp liquid coconut oil
- coconut shavings
Prepare the ice cream:
- Pour each flavour of ice cream into Tupperware containers lined with plastic wrap. Cover with another sheet of plastic wrap and place in the freezer overnight, or until stiff.
Make the macarons:
- Combine the confectioner’s sugar and almond flour in a bowl, then sift 3 times. Place the egg whites in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until foamy. Add the cream of tartar, then beat until soft peaks form. Add the superfine sugar and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Sift the dry mixture into the egg mixture and gently fold to combine. Divide the mixture into 3 bowls.
- Separately puree and strain the mangoes and raspberries. Add 1 tsp mango puree and yellow food colouring to one bowl, 1 tsp raspberry puree and pink food colouring to another bowl and instant coffee powder to the remaining bowl. Gently fold to combine.
- Place the batter in piping bags fitted with large round tips. Choose a round cookie cutter your desired size of ice cream sandwich. Pipe macarons in each colour (in even numbers) the same size as the cookie cutter onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Tap the baking sheets on your countertop a couple times to remove any air bubbles. Let the macarons sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Set your oven to 375F, heat for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to 325F. Bake the macarons, one sheet at a time, for 15-20 minutes, rotating halfway through. The macarons should have the slightest hint of browning to them. These are quite big, so removing them from the oven when they are undercooked with cause them to deflate and you’ll have to start again from the beginning. After each batch, increase the heat to 375F, heat for 5 minutes, then reduce to 325F and pop the next sheet into the oven!
- Allow the macarons to cool on the sheet until fully cool.
- Cut the ice cream into rounds using the same cookie cutter that was used as a guide for the macarons. Sandwich the chocolate ice cream between raspberry macarons, lemon sorbet between mango macarons and coffee ice cream between coffee macarons. Place on a plate lined with parchment paper. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes to chill.
- Combine the dark chocolate and coconut oil. Dunk half of the chocolate raspberry ice cream sandwich into the chocolate and return to the parchment paper-lined plate. Drizzle some chocolate onto the coffee ice cream sandwich. Roll the mango lemon ice cream sandwich into the shaved coconut. Return to the freezer for 5 minutes and enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!