Homemade Strawberry Scones
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 ½ tsp baking powder
- zest from 1 lemon about 2 tsp
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 1 1/3 cup half and half cream 10% cream
- pink food colouring
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1 tbsp matcha green tea powder
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 4 tsp sugar
- Mix together the flour, 2/3 cup of sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Add the butter and mix together using a pastry blender, or by making a slicing motion with two butter knives. This will incorporate the butter and make the mixture crumbly. Then add the cream and mix together.
- Knead the dough about 5 times on a lightly floured surface. Remove about 60g of dough and set aside. Add the pink food colouring and the strawberries to the larger mass of dough, and knead together another 5 times. Add the matcha green tea powder to the smaller piece of dough, and knead 5 times.
- Divide the pink dough into 16 equal pieces, and shape them into strawberry shapes. Place them 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Use the green dough to make the leaves and stems of the strawberries, and stick them onto the pink scones. Stick the dark chocolate chips onto the scones to look like seeds, and then brush the scones with the beaten egg. Then evenly sprinkle the 4 tbsp of sugar on top of the scones.
- Bake at 425F for 9-12 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!