Chocolate Orange Tarts with Candied Oranges
- pie dough recipe here
- 8 oz high quality dark chocolate melted
- ¾ cup whipping cream hot
- pinch salt
- 1 ½ tbsp grand marnier or orange juice
- zest from 1 small orange
Candied Orange Peel:
- 1 orange
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- Make the pie shells: Roll the dough out onto a floured surface until it is 1/8-inch thick. Use an 11 cm round cookie cutter to cut out 12 rounds of dough and press them into a cupcake tin. Bake at 400F for 25 minutes, or until the edges are golden. Allow to cool completely in the pan.
- Make the ganache: Combine the melted dark chocolate, whipping cream, salt, grand marnier and orange zest in a bowl. Place in the fridge until chilled and thickened, about 1 hour. Beat with an electric mixer until it lightens in colour and thickens even more, but is still runny enough to pour. (Note: if you would like a more dense ganache that will hold its shape if you pipe it, beat it until still peaks form. Be careful not to overbeat, as it can become lumpy.) Set aside.
- Make the candied orange peel: Use a vegetable peeler to remove just the orange part of the peel from an orange. Slice into thin strips and place in a pot of cold water. Bring to a boil and boil for 30 seconds. Drain, then place in another pot with the sugar and 2 tbsp water. Bring to a simmer and cook until the orange peel is translucent, 10-20 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cool completely.
- To assemble, spoon the ganache into the tart shells and top with a candied orange peel. If desired, return the tarts to the fridge for the ganache to continue setting. Enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!