Fruit Basket Cake
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 9 eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ¾ cups buttermilk
- 2 cups blueberries
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 500 g cream cheese room temperature
- 3 ¼ cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 5 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Vanilla wafers
- fresh berries and cherries
Bake the cake:
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, lemon zest and eggs one a time, mixing with each addition.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add this to the batter in 2 additions, alternating with the buttermilk. Add the blueberries and fold to combine.
- Divide the batter between 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cakes comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. The cakes may deflate slightly after coming out of the oven, but don’t worry!
Make the frosting:
- Beat the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and combine.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Slice the tops, bottoms and sides off the cakes to remove any excess browning. Slice each cake into 2 layers. Stack 3 layers and carve about 2” off the sides, creating a smaller circle.
- Stack the 3 large cakes and spread some frosting between each layer. Coat the cake in an even layer of frosting. Stack the 3 small cakes on a separate surface and spread some frosting between each layer. Coat the cake in a an even layer of frosting. Place this cake on top of the large cake
- Stick the vanilla wafers onto the sides of both cakes. Place the remaining frosting in a piping bag fitted with a large tip and pipe onto the surface of the cake. Arrange fresh fruit onto the top and 1st tier of the cake. Note: if the wafers aren’t sticking very well, gently tie a ribbon around both layers. Enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!