DIY Dole Whip Donuts From Disneyland
Pineapple Jam Filling:
- 1 pineapple chopped
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
Dole Whip Doughnuts:
- 2 tbsp active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 tsp salt
- canola oil
- 1 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- pineapple flavoring
- yellow food coloring
- Pineapple jam see recipe above
- 2 large egg whites room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
Pineapple Jam Filling:
- Place the pineapple in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Measure out 2 cups of pineapple and place it in a pan, along with the water.
- Set to medium-low heat and cook until the pineapple is soft, about 35 minutes.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice and stir to combine. Cook until the jam has thickened, 45-60 minutes.
- Pour into a 16-ounce jar and seal with a lid. Store in the refrigerator.
Make the doughnuts:
- Place the yeast, warm water and 1 tsp granulated sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Allow this to sit for 10 minutes, until the yeast begins to develop.
- Add the flour, ½ cup sugar, eggs, butter and salt. Set the mixer to medium speed and knead for 8-9 minutes, until the dough is smooth, soft and bounces back when poked with your finger.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Roll the dough out to ¼ inch-thick and cut into 4 inch-wide circles with a cookie cutter. You should be able to get 10 doughnuts. Transfer the doughnuts to a lightly floured baking sheet and cover with a sheet of plastic wrap. Place in a warm spot and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Pour about 5 inches of canola oil into a pot and set to medium heat. Attach a deep-fry thermometer and heat the oil to 370F. Fry 1 or 2 doughnuts at a time, cooking for 1 minute on each side or until golden.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oil with a slotted spoon and place on a baking sheet lined with paper towel. Cool completely.
- Poke a hole into the sides of the doughnuts with a butter knife. Place the pineapple jam in a piping bag and squeeze into the doughnuts.
Make the glaze:
- Combine the confectioner’s sugar and whipping cream in a bowl. Add a drop or two of pineapple flavoring and yellow food coloring and mix well.
- Dunk the doughnuts into the glaze and set aside.
Make the meringue:
- Beat the egg whites and salt with an electric mixer on low speed until frothy.
- Add the cream of tartar and increase to medium speed. Beat until the egg whites are fluffy, with large bubbles forming around the edges.
- Add the sugar a few teaspoons at a time. Beat until the meringue reaches stiff, glossy peaks. Add the vanilla extract.
- Place the meringue in a piping bag fitted with a medium-sized round piping tip.
- Pipe swirls onto the doughnuts. Brown the meringue with a kitchen blow torch.
- Top with paper umbrellas and enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!