Birthday Balloon Number Cakes
Confetti cake that looks like those trendy number balloons! These are such a fun birthday cake idea and can be made in rose gold, gold and silver! FULL RECIPE & LINKS BELOW!
Bake the cake:
- Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time, mixing with each addition.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add this to the butter mixture in 2 additions, alternating with the sour cream. Add the confetti sprinkles and mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 9×13 inch pan and smooth the surface. Bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- If you are making double digits, repeat the process to make the second cake. If you want to make the batter for both cakes in one batch, you’ll need a BIG bowl!
Make the buttercream:
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, then mix for 3-4 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add a couple drops of pink food coloring to dye it a pale pink color.
- Use an edible ink pen to draw the number onto the surface of the cake, in a block letter style. Make sure the number is as thick as possible, approximately 4-5 inches wide at each point.
- Use a serrated knife to carve the cake along the lines. Then round the edges of the number, to make it look like a rounded balloon. Place the cake on a cake board at this point, as the odd shape of the cake will make moving it difficult, once it is frosted.
- Cover the entire cake in a thin layer of buttercream. Place the cake in the fridge for 20 minutes, to chill. Then coat the cake in a generous layer of buttercream. Smooth the buttercream as much as possible.
- Place the remaining buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a large, angled piping tip. Place the widest side of the piping tip against the cake and pipe a ruffle around the entire number.
- Spray the entire cake with the metallic food spray. To protect the rest of your kitchen, use your hand or a sheet of paper to catch the overspray on the opposite side of the cake. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!