Tomato Pizza Buns
- Bacon Bear bread dough steps 1-4 (recipe here)
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- red & green food colouring
- 200 g mozzarella cut into large cubes and frozen
- 10 large fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce about 1.5 tsp per bun
- a toothpick
- Once the Bacon Bear bread dough has doubled in size (following steps 1-4), punch the dough to release air, then turn it out onto a floured surface. Take 1/6 of the dough and set it aside. Knead the remaining larger amount of dough together with 1 tbsp ketchup and red food colouring. The food colouring takes a while to completely disperse throughout the dough, so continue kneading and add more food colouring as needed. (I needed a bit more food colouring than I had originally anticipated.) Then set aside.
- Add some green food colouring to the smaller amount of dough and knead until it is even in colour.
- Divide both the red and green dough into 10 even pieces. Place these on a floured surface and cover with a damp dish towel. Allow these to rise for 15 minutes.
- Working with one bun at a time, flatten each bun into a pancake shape, and spoon about 1.5 tsp of pizza sauce onto the center of the pancake. Add a basil leaf and a few cubes of frozen mozzarella cheese, then close the pancake to create a bun. Place the bun seam side down, and repeat with the remaining buns.
- Divide each piece of green dough into 2 large pieces and one smaller piece. Stretch the larger pieces into 2 long strips, and place on top of each tomato bun to create an X-shape. Roll the smaller piece into a ball and place in the center of the X to create a stem. Using a toothpick, tuck the edges of the green dough underneath themselves to attach them to the bun.
- Place these on 1 or 2 baking sheets (depending on the size of your baking sheets) lined with parchment paper, and cover once more with a damp paper towel. Let these rise once more for 20 minutes.
- Then bake them at 375F for 20 minutes and enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!