Spring Chicken Cakes
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups confectioner’s sugar
- black red and yellow food colouring
- Mini chocolate chips
Bake the cakes:
- Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and lemon zest and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt, then add to the butter mixture. Add the milk and mix until combined.
- Divide the mixture into a greased and floured chicken-shaped cake pan. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cakes comes out clean. Allow to cool completely in the pan, then turn out. Slice the bottoms of the chickens to create flat bottoms. Set aside.
Make the buttercream:
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined. Add the confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, then beat for 3-5 minutes.
- Set half of the buttercream aside. Dye about ¾ of the remaining buttercream black, then divide the rest into 2 bowls and dye them red and yellow.
- Place the white, black and red buttercream into piping bags fitted with #113 piping tips. Place the yellow buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a small, round piping tip.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl and drizzle the glaze onto the cake. This will make them taste extra lemony!
- To make a white chicken, use the red buttercream to pipe red feathers on the top of the head and tail. Cover the rest of the cake in white buttercream feathers. You want them to overlap each other, so start from the tail and work towards the head.
- To make the black and white chicken, only pipe red feathers on the head (not the tail). Alternate piping black and white feathers onto the chicken.
- Pipe a yellow beak and stick 2 mini chocolate chips onto the face as eyes. Enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!