- 2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast
- 2 ¼ cups warm water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1 tbsp salt
- 6 cups bread flour
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- cooking spray
- sesame seeds
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tsp cold water
- sesame seeds
- Pour ¼ cup of warm water into the bowl of an electric mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top. Let sit for 5 minutes for the yeast to develop. Add the remaining 2 cups warm water, sugar, vegetable shortening and salt and mix on low speed with a dough hook attachment.
- Gradually add 5 ½ cups of bread flour, mixing for 2-3 minutes until all ingredients are combined. Increase to medium speed and mix for 6 minutes, adding the remaining flour 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Brush the inside of a large bowl with some of the melted butter. Shape the dough into a ball and place inside the bowl. Brush the top of the bread with some more butter and cover with a sheet of buttered plastic wrap. Place a towel on top and let the dough rise at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Deflate the dough, return to the bowl, cover, and chill in the fridge for 4 hours, or overnight.
- In the meantime, do some prep. Spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Cover 2 additional baking sheets with dish towels and sprinkle flour onto one of the dish towels. Set aside.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface. Deflate the dough and divide into 10 pieces. Knead each piece several times to activate the gluten and form into a tight ball. Poke a hole in the center, then stretch until it looks like a large ring of dough. Transfer the bagels to the baking sheet with the floured dish towel and cover with an additional dish towel.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add the sugar and baking soda. Place the bagels into the boiling water and boil for 1 ½ – 2 minutes, then flip over and boil for an additional 1 ½ – 2 minutes on the other side. Transfer the boiled bagels to the baking sheet lined with the un-floured dish towel. Then transfer the bagels to one of the baking sheets sprinkled with sesame seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 500F. While the oven is preheating, beat the egg whites and water in a small bowl. Brush the bagels with this glaze, and if desired, sprinkle with additional sesame seeds.
- In a small glass, place 4 ice cubes and ¼ cup water.
- Place the bagels in the oven and immediately toss the ice cubes and water onto the over floor. Quickly close the oven door and reduce the oven temperature to 450F. Bake for 25 minutes. Turn off the oven and keep the bagels in the oven for an additional 5 minutes. Then open the oven door and leave the bagels in the oven for another 5 minutes. While the first batch is baking, prep the other bagels using the remaining dough.
- After cooking, transfer the bagels to a cooling rack and enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Hi everyone! My name is Cayla Gallagher and I’m the creator of pankobunny!
You could also call this heading “Our philosophy” or “Our vision.” This is the place to talk about what drives you and your business and what’s unique about your process.
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins
Error: Invalid Feed ID.