Fresh Fruit Tart
An easy, fresh fruit tart with homemade pie crust and a DELICIOUS vanilla pastry cream filling! This is a perfect summer dessert recipe! FULL RECIPE & INGREDIENTS BELOW!
- Pie Crust:
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ cup unsalted butter cold and cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp ice water
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- seeds from ½ vanilla bean
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour (or rice flour)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Your desired fruit (I used strawberries, kiwis, canned mandarin oranges, blueberries and raspberries)
- ¼ cup apricot jelly (or any clear jelly, not jam)
- Make the crust:
- Place the flour and sugar in a food processor. Pulse a couple times to combine. Add the butter and pulse until it resembles fine crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water and egg yolk. Add this to the flour mixture and pulse until the dough holds together, without feeling sticky or wet. If it doesn’t hold together, add some more water 1 tbsp at a time.
- Shape the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge while you make the pastry cream.
Make the pastry cream:
- Place the milk, vanilla bean seeds and ¼ cup sugar in a small pot and set it to high heat. Heat until it almost reaches a boil.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and 1 tbsp sugar. Add the cornstarch and flour and mix until well combined.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the eggs while whisking. Set a mesh sieve onto the pot and pour the mixture through the sieve, back into the pot.
- Set the pot to medium-high heat and whisk constantly until it has thickened into a pudding-like consistency, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the pastry cream to a large bowl and add the butter. Whisk until combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and press the plastic wrap directly onto the surface. Refrigerate until fully chilled.
Bake the crust:
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface until it is ¼ inch thick and 12 inches round. Press the dough into a 9” round fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. In the video, I used a 9” springform pan (cheesecake pan) because I lost my tart pan. If you’re in a pinch, this works too! Trim the edges of the dough so that they are flush with the edges of the pan, or as I did in the video, trim them so that they are even all the way around and approximately 1 inch high. Chill the crust in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Prick the base of the tart with a fork. Line the tart with parchment paper and pour pie weights, dried beans or rice into the center. This will prevent the center from rising in the oven.
- Bake at 375F for 40 minutes, or until the edges are golden. Cool the tart completely on a wire rack.
Prepare the filling:
- Place the whipping cream and sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add this to the pastry cream and gently fold until they are fully combined.
- Spoon this into the tart crust and smooth the surface.
- Decorate the tart with your desired fruit.
- Place the apricot jelly in a microwave-safe dish and microwave for 30 seconds, or until bubbling. Use a pastry brush to brush the jelly onto the fruit. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!