Homemade Hot Cross Buns
- 1 cup milk warm
- 4 ½ tsp dry active yeast
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp nutmeg
- 4 large eggs
- 5 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups raisins or currants
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tbsp water
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Place the milk in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Set to low speed and add the yeast, sugar, salt, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and eggs. Add the flour 1 cup at a time, then mix for about 7-8 minutes, until the dough is smooth and forms around the dough hook. Add the raisins and mix until combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until the raisins are evenly dispersed. Transfer to a buttered bowl and rotate the dough to coat it with butter. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 1 ½ hours.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead a couple times. Divide into 24 pieces and shape them into tight balls. Transfer to a large buttered baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot until touching and doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Combine the egg white, water and salt in a small bowl. Brush onto the surface of the buns. Use a sharp knife to cut a cross into the top of each bun. Bake at 375F for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool the buns completely on the baking sheet.
- To make the glaze, combine the confectioner’s sugar, milk and lemon juice. Place in a piping bag and pipe over the buns. Enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Hi everyone! My name is Cayla Gallagher and I’m the creator of pankobunny!
You could also call this heading “Our philosophy” or “Our vision.” This is the place to talk about what drives you and your business and what’s unique about your process.
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins
Error: Invalid Feed ID.