Homemade Gummy Bears
These gummy bears are sweet, delicious and actually so easy to make! They are slightly softer than regular gummy bears, but are still satisfyingly chewy.
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 98 g powdered pectin
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 cups light corn syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 tsp strawberry extract
- yellow orange, red and green food coloring
- vegetable oil
- superfine sugar
- 5 tsp citric acid optional
- Lightly oil your gummy bear mold with a paper towel.
- Mix together the pectin and baking soda in a pan, then pour in the water, and mix well. Set the pan to medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and becomes clear in color, about 3-5 minutes. Then remove this from the heat, and cover with a lid.
- Mix together the corn syrup and sugar in another pan, and set it to high heat. Stir until the mixture comes to a boil, and then stop stirring and attach a candy thermometer to the side of the pan. Allow this to boil until it reaches 260F. Once it reaches this temperature, add the pectin and allow to boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat, and add your desired flavoring and colors. Mix well, then pour into the greased gummy bear mold. Allow this to set at room temperature overnight.
- Sprinkle the tops of the bears with superfine sugar. Gently remove the bears from the mold, placing them directly into another bowl of superfine sugar. If you would like sour gummies, mix ½ cup superfine sugar with 5 tsp citric acid.
Because they are quite soft, I recommend storing them in single layers in an air tight container, so that they don’t get squished together. Washing up the pans can also be a pain after this, because that sugar mixture seriously sticks onto the pans. To make this a million times easier, pour a little bit of water (2 cups or so) into each pan, and bring it to a boil. Then dissolve the sugar into the water, and when the sugar has completely dissolved and melted off from the pan, pour out the water, and clean the pan as usual!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!