Half Chocolate Half Pumpkin Spice Cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate melted
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 can 420g plain pumpkin puree (not fresh puree)
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 4 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 cups confectioner’s sugar
- ½ tsp pumpkin spice mix
- orange food colouring
- ½ cup melted semi-sweet chocolate
- Red, orange, yellow and brown candy melts, melted
Bake the chocolate cake:
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla and eggs one at a time, beating with each addition.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Add this to the butter mixture in 2 additions, alternating with the buttermilk. Add the chocolate chips and melted chocolate and mix well.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9” round baking pan and bake at 350F for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
Bake the pumpkin cake:
- Combine the eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree and butter in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and cloves. Add this to the pumpkin mixture and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 9” round baking pan and bake at 350F for 70 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
Make the buttercream:
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and mix well. Add the confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, then beat for 3-5 minutes until fluffy.
- Divide the buttercream in half, then divide one half into 2 bowls. Place the pumpkin spice mix and orange food colouring in one bowl and the melted chocolate into the other bowl, mixing well to combine.
- Set all 3 flavours of buttercream aside.
Make the leaves:
- Pour all colours of candy melts into a leaf-shape mold. Place in the freezer until set, about 15 minutes. Unmold and set aside.
- Slice the surface off of each cake to flatten the surface, then slice each cake into 2 layers. Then slice the cakes in half vertically and stack both sides on top of each other, creating 2 cake halves with 4 layers each.
- Spread some pumpkin spice buttercream between the pumpkin cake layers and the chocolate buttercream between the chocolate cake layers. Then cover the entire cake in the white buttercream.
- Place the remaining pumpkin and chocolate buttercream in piping bags fitted with large star-shaped piping tips.
- Pipe dollops on to the cake and decorate with chocolate leaves. Enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!