Half Chocolate Half Pumpkin Spice Cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate melted
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 can 420g plain pumpkin puree (not fresh puree)
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 4 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 cups confectioner’s sugar
- ½ tsp pumpkin spice mix
- orange food colouring
- ½ cup melted semi-sweet chocolate
- Red, orange, yellow and brown candy melts, melted
Bake the chocolate cake:
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla and eggs one at a time, beating with each addition.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Add this to the butter mixture in 2 additions, alternating with the buttermilk. Add the chocolate chips and melted chocolate and mix well.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9” round baking pan and bake at 350F for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
Bake the pumpkin cake:
- Combine the eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree and butter in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and cloves. Add this to the pumpkin mixture and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 9” round baking pan and bake at 350F for 70 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
Make the buttercream:
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and mix well. Add the confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, then beat for 3-5 minutes until fluffy.
- Divide the buttercream in half, then divide one half into 2 bowls. Place the pumpkin spice mix and orange food colouring in one bowl and the melted chocolate into the other bowl, mixing well to combine.
- Set all 3 flavours of buttercream aside.
Make the leaves:
- Pour all colours of candy melts into a leaf-shape mold. Place in the freezer until set, about 15 minutes. Unmold and set aside.
- Slice the surface off of each cake to flatten the surface, then slice each cake into 2 layers. Then slice the cakes in half vertically and stack both sides on top of each other, creating 2 cake halves with 4 layers each.
- Spread some pumpkin spice buttercream between the pumpkin cake layers and the chocolate buttercream between the chocolate cake layers. Then cover the entire cake in the white buttercream.
- Place the remaining pumpkin and chocolate buttercream in piping bags fitted with large star-shaped piping tips.
- Pipe dollops on to the cake and decorate with chocolate leaves. Enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Hi everyone! My name is Cayla Gallagher and I’m the creator of pankobunny!
You could also call this heading “Our philosophy” or “Our vision.” This is the place to talk about what drives you and your business and what’s unique about your process.
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins
Error: Invalid Feed ID.