Golden Snitch Marshmallows from Harry Potter
- 2 ½ tsp powdered gelatin
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cold water
- yellow food colouring
- ¼ cup corn starch
- ¼ cup confectioner’s sugar
- Pour 1/3 cup of cold water into the bowl of an electric mixer and sprinkle the powdered gelatin on top. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Place the sugar and ¼ cup cold water in a small pot and set to medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar has melted.
- Attach a candy thermometer to the pot and boil the sugar until it reaches 238F. Brush the sides of the pot with a wet pastry brush if sugar crystals stick to the sides. Remove the pot from the heat and stir until the sugar stops boiling.
- Add the hot sugar to the gelatin and stir the mixture by hand whisking for a few minutes to slightly cool. Then beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 8-10 minutes, until soft peaks form.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and draw circles onto the parchment paper, using your favourite mug as a stencil. This will help determine how big to make the marshmallows. Flip the parchment paper over, so that the marked side is facing downwards – we don’t want to get pen on the marshmallows!
- Place half of the marshmallow mixture into a piping bag fitted with a medium-sized round piping tip.
- Pipe two wings onto each circle, slightly extending them past the circles.
- Dye the remaining marshmallow yellow and place in a piping bag fitted with a slightly larger piping tip. Pipe large dollops in the center of each set of wings, slightly overlapping the ears.
- Allow the marshmallows to set at room temperature overnight.
- Combine the corn starch and confectioner’s sugar in a bowl, then place into a mesh sieve. Dust over the surface of the marshmallows. Use a butter knife to peel the marshmallows off the parchment paper and dust the mixture onto the undersides. Then bounce the marshmallows in the sieve to remove any excess powder. Enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!