Fuzzy Panda Marble Cake
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tbsp + 1½ tsp white vinegar
- 3 ½ cups cake flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¾ cup boiling water
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 6 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of cream of tartar
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 113 g unsweetened chocolate melted
- 3 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- black food colouring
- 1/4 cup fresh apricot approx. ½ an apricot, diced
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- ¼ cup mini dark chocolate chips
- Make the buttermilk: Mix together the milk and white vinegar in a small bowl. Place this in the fridge for 15 minutes for the milk to slightly curdle. Then you’ll have buttermilk!
To make the cake:
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, mixing well after each addition. Then add the vanilla extract and combine.
- Add half of the flour mixture, then the buttermilk, then the remaining flour mixture. Pour 1/3 of the mixture into a separate bowl. Pour the white chocolate chips into the larger bowl and combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cocoa powder and boiling water. Add this to the cake mixture without the white chocolate chips. Mix well, then add the dark chocolate chips and mix again.
- Spoon the cake batter into two buttered 9-inch round cake pans, making a checkerboard pattern with the chocolate and vanilla batter. Then swirl a knife through the batter to create a marble effect.
- Bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes. Transfer the pans to a cooling rack and cool for 5 minutes. Then turn the cakes out from the pans and let fully cool. In the meantime, make the two buttercreams.
To make the white buttercream:
- Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl until it’s light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, and mix together. Add the cream of tartar and confectioner’s sugar 1 cup at a time, beating with each addition.
To make the black buttercream:
- Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl until it’s light and fluffy. Add the confectioner’s sugar 1 cup at a time, beating with each addition. Add the milk and salt and mix for about 3 minutes.
- Add the melted chocolate and beat for about 1 minute. Then add enough black food colouring to make the buttercream as dark as possible.
To assemble the cake:
- Stack both cakes on top of each other. Carve them into the general shape of a panda, keeping any large scraps.
- Round out the head and body to create round edges, then cut the ears, arms and legs out of the cake scraps.
- Remove the top layer of the cake and set aside. Mix ½ cup of the white buttercream with the apricots, blueberries and mini chocolate chips. Spread this on top of the bottom layer of cake. Replace the top layer and attach the ears, arms and legs with toothpicks.
- Fill the remaining white icing and black icing into individual piping bags fitted with star-shaped piping tips. Pipe on the panda’s eyes, nose, ears, arms, feet, tail and neck with the black icing and fill in the remaining area with the white icing, and enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!