Fluffy Pinecone Cat Cake
- 2 loaves of vanilla pound cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- white cotton candy
- white chocolate
- dark chocolate
- pink and blue oil-based food colouring
- To make the buttercream, place the butter and sugar in a large bowl, and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and mix.
- Use one loaf of pound cake as Pinecone’s body, and carve it into an oval. Use the widest part of the second loaf as his head, and round the edges with a knife. Attach it to the body with toothpicks. Use the remaining cake to make the ears, front paws and tail. Secure these with toothpicks as well.
- Coat the cake with a thin layer of buttercream. Then apply a thicker layer of buttercream in small areas at a time, sticking on small tufts of cotton candy before the buttercream stiffens. Continue to cover the entire surface of the cake with buttercream and cotton candy, apart from the head.
- Mix a small amount of buttercream with pink food colouring, and spread it onto Pinecone’s ears to make them pink.
- Continue to cover Pinecone’s face with the cotton candy, including the ears, so that the pink just peeks through.
- Melt some white and dark chocolate. Dye some of the white chocolate a peachy pink colour, and paint a nose onto a sheet of parchment paper. Dye the remaining white chocolate a light blue colour, and paint on two circles to make his eyes. Place this in the freezer for 5-10 minutes until it’s fully set. Then paint the melted dark chocolate on top of the eyes to make the pupils. Return this to the freezer to set again.
- Use some buttercream to attach the eyes and nose to Pinecone’s face, and you’re done!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!