Christmas Pudding Cream Puffs
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup unsalted butter cold and cut into cubes
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 cups milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter cold
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tbsp whipping cream
- red and green piping gel
Make the Cream Puffs
- In a large pot, combine the water, butter, sugar and salt. Set to high heat and bring to a boil. Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon mix until a film forms on the bottom of the pan. Transfer the dough to a bowl and cool for 3-4 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously and completely incorporating each egg after each addition.
- Transfer the dough to a piping bag fitted with a large, round piping tip and pipe 1 ½-inch rounds onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Wet your fingers and smooth any pointed peaks.
- Bake them at 375F for 30 minutes. Cool on the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
Make the Pastry Cream:
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a pot. Add the milk, egg yolks and cocoa powder and whisk together. Set to medium heat and whisk constantly until it comes to a boil. Once it thickens, remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract and butter.
- Strain through a sieve and cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly on the surface. Refrigerate until chilled. If the pastry cream becomes lumpy, pulse in a food processor a couple times. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a round tip.
- Poke holes in the base of the cream puffs and fill with pastry cream.
- Combine the confectioner’s sugar and whipping cream in a bowl. Spoon over the cream puffs.
- Pipe holly onto the top of each cream puff with the piping gel. Enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!