Chocolate-filled Flower Doughnuts
- 2 tbsp active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 tsp salt
- canola oil
- 2 cups pudding any flavour
- 1 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
- ½ cup whipping cream
- food colouring
- Yellow sanding sugar
Make the doughnuts:
- Place the yeast, warm water and 1 tsp granulated sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Allow this to sit for 10 minutes, until the yeast begins to develop.
- Add the flour, ½ cup sugar, eggs, butter and salt. Set the mixer to medium speed and knead for 8-9 minutes, until the dough is smooth, soft and bounces back when poked with your finger.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Roll the dough out to ¼ inch-thick and cut into 2 ½ inch-wide flowers with a cookie cutter. You should be able to get 15-20 doughnuts. Transfer the doughnuts to a lightly floured baking sheet and cover with a sheet of plastic wrap. Place in a warm spot and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Pour about 5 inches of canola oil into a pot and set to medium heat. Attach a deep-fry thermometer and heat the oil to 370F. Fry 3 or 4 doughnuts at a time, cooking for 1 minute on each side or until golden.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oil with a slotted spoon and place on a baking sheet lined with paper towel. Cool completely.
Make the glaze:
- Combine the confectioner’s sugar and whipping cream in a bowl. Dye your desired colour and set aside.
- Place the pudding in a piping bag. Poke a hole in the sides of the doughnuts and squeeze the pudding into each doughnut until they feel heavier.
- Dunk the doughnuts into the glaze and sprinkle some yellow sugar onto the center. Enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!