Chocolate-Covered Cream Puffs
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup unsalted butter cold and cut into cubes
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- pinch salt
- 2 cups milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter cold
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream hot
Make the Cream Puffs
- In a large pot, combine the water, butter, sugar and salt. Set to high heat and bring to a boil. Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon mix until a film forms on the bottom of the pan. Transfer the dough to a bowl and cool for 3-4 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously and completely incorporating each egg after each addition.
- Transfer the dough to a piping bag fitted with a large, round piping tip and pipe 1 ½-inch rounds onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Wet your fingers and smooth any pointed peaks.
- Bake them at 375F for 30 minutes. Cool on the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
Make the Pastry Cream
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a pot. Add the milk, egg yolks and butter and whisk together. Set to medium heat and whisk constantly until it comes to a boil. Once it thickens, remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract.
- Strain through a sieve and cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly on the surface. Refrigerate until chilled, 1-2 hours. If the pastry cream becomes lumpy, pulse in a food processor a couple times. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a round tip.
- Slice the cream puffs in half. Pipe a generous dollop of cream between the two layers.
Make the Glaze
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle on top of the cream puffs and enjoy!
Calories: 232kcalCarbohydrates: 21.8gProtein: 4.8gFat: 14.7gSaturated Fat: 8.4gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 117mgPotassium: 84mgFiber: 0.7gSugar: 12.5gCalcium: 60mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!