Cat Hot Pot
- 400 g chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 tbsp sake
- 250 g Chinese cabbage hakusai, stems and leaves separated and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 small turnips peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2/3 carrot cut into bite-sized pieces
- 200 g 1 package oyster mushrooms, sliced lengthwise into quarters
- 1 large daikon radish peeled
- soy sauce
- nori seaweed
- 1 8 cm-piece of konbu seaweed
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp sake
- ½ tsp salt
Miso Dipping Sauce
- 100 g miso paste
- 3 ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp mirin
- ¼ cup water
Citrus Dipping Sauce
- ¼ cup ponzu sauce
- Place the chicken thighs in a bowl and sprinkle over the 1 tsp salt, pinch of pepper and 1 tbsp sake. Mix together, place in the fridge and marinate for 10-30 minutes.
- Make the broth: Soak the konbu seaweed in the water for 15 minutes. Remove the konbu and add the sake and salt. Set aside.
- Using a daikon grater, grate the entire daikon. Pour the grated daikon through a cheesecloth and gently squeeze to remove any excess water. Set aside.
- Arrange the chicken, Chinese cabbage stems, turnips, carrot and oyster mushrooms in a 10-inch pan.
- Add the broth and place a lid on the pan. Set the pan to high heat. Once it comes to a boil, bring the heat down to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, until the chicken and veggies are fully cooked. Add the Chinese cabbage leaves, replace the lid and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- In the meantime, add a few drops of soy sauce to 1/5 of the grated daikon to dye it light brown. Shape the daikon into a cat shape, using the brown daikon to create spots. Make eyes, a nose and mouth out of nori seaweed and stick them to the cat’s face. Set aside.
- Make the sauces: Place the miso paste, sugar, mirin and water in a small pot and set to medium heat. Cook until thickened, about 4-5 minutes, then pour into a small dish. Pour the ponzu sauce into a separate dish.
- Carefully slide the cat into the center of the hot pot. (I used a rubber spatula.)
- To eat, place some chicken, veggies and daikon cat into a small dish and top with a little of both sauces. Pour some broth over top and enjoy!
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!