Whole Wheat Turtle Bread
- 145 ml milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 large egg
- 33 g dry active yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups all-purpose whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg beaten
- Pour the milk and water into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30-40 seconds or until warm.
- Crack an egg into a large bowl and whisk. Add the milk mixture and mix well. Add the oil, sugar and yeast.
- Sift both flours and 1 tsp salt into the bowl, then knead the dough together. If the dough is too dry, add some more milk.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit in a warm area until it has doubled in size.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface until it is 21” x 14”. Slice the dough into 14 strips.
- Roll each strip into a round tube, then place 4 tubes on a floured workspace. Braid as directed in the video (linked above). Tuck the ends under the braid to form the turtle’s shell. Repeat to make 2 more shells. Use the remaining strips to make the heads, arms and feet of the turtles.
- Place the turtles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover with a damp towel and let rise for 15 minutes. Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle salt on top. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes. These taste best when served warm. Note: Each bun is big enough to be shared by 3-4 people at dinner, so you can freeze the remaining 2 turtles and defrost overnight before serving.
Want to see more video tutorials? Check out all of my recipes here! http://www.youtube.com/pankobunny
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Hi everyone! My name is Cayla Gallagher and I’m the creator of pankobunny!
You could also call this heading “Our philosophy” or “Our vision.” This is the place to talk about what drives you and your business and what’s unique about your process.
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins
Error: Invalid Feed ID.