Vanilla Confetti Birthday Cake
This birthday cake is a vanilla cake base, topped with homemade creamy vanilla buttercream and is bursting with confetti sprinkles in both the cake batter and the vanilla frosting!
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup confetti sprinkles
- 2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3 cups confetti sprinkles
Bake the cake:
- Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla and eggs one at a time, mixing with each addition.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add this to the butter mixture in 2 additions, alternating with sour cream. Add the confetti sprinkles and mix to combine.
- Divide the batter between 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans and bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
Make the buttercream:
- Cream the butter with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, then beat for 3-5 minutes, until fluffy.
- Slice the tops and bottoms off of each cake, to create flat cakes and remove any excess browning. Place a cake board on top of each cake and trim off the browned edges, so that the cakes are the same size as the cake board.
- Slice each cake in half to create 2 layers per cake.
- Place the cake board onto your work surface. Stack the four layers of cake on top, spreading some buttercream evenly between each layer.
- Coat the cake evenly in buttercream. Place a second cake board on top of the cake.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and fill with the remaining 3 cups confetti sprinkles. Turn the cake on its side, with one hand on each cake board, and roll the sides of the cake in the sprinkles, until all sides are evenly covered. Return the cake to your work surface.
- Remove the top cake board and smooth the buttercream, if it has shifted.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining sprinkles. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!