Treacle’s Princess Birthday Cake
Treacle sends you all birthday kisses! Today we are making a pink tiered cake for my little princess Pomeranian, Treacle. This cake is made with beets, tuna, salmon, bananas and strawberries – all of Treacle's favorite things!CHECK OUT MY MERCH!: teespring.com/stores/pankobunny (use code HOLIDAY20 for 20% off! YAY!)
- 6 red beets boiled and peeled
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 2 5- oz cans of tuna in water drained
- 2 5- oz cans of salmon in water and without salt drained
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup sunflower seed oil plus extra for the cake pans
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 16 oz cream cheese room temperature
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 strawberries finely diced
- 1 whole strawberry
Bake the cake:
- Place the beets in a food processor and pulse until they become a puree. Set aside 2 tbsp of puree for the frosting.
- Combine the beet puree with the banana, tuna, salmon and eggs and mix well. Add the hot water and sunflower seed oil and mix well. Then add the flour and mix until just combined.
- Grease 3 cake pans with extra sunflower seed oil. Divide the cake batter between the 3 pans.
- Bake at 350F for 40 minutes, or until the tops have browned and a skewer inserted into the centers comes out clean. Cool completely.
Make the frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese and peanut butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Set aside ¼ cup of frosting.
- Add the 2 tbsp of beet puree to the remaining frosting and mix well.
- If the top of the cakes are uneven, trim off a thin layer with a serrated knife. Trim 2 cakes so that they get progressively smaller. You can save the scraps for treats!
- Stack the cakes. Spread some pink buttercream between each layer and scatter some strawberries on top. Then coat the entire cake in a smooth layer of frosting.
- Place the white frosting into a piping bag fitted with a small, star-shaped piping tip. Pipe dollops all around the cake. Top with a few swirls of frosting and a whole strawberry.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!